San Luis Obispo is a very welcoming community with a rich tapestry of business owners. We understand and value diversity and the many ways it enhances our community.
"Diversity in the workplace"
is not a just a feel-good phrase-it's good for business. Having a diverse staff helps your customers feel more comfortable working with your business. Diversity brings many different perspectives and approaches to solving business challenges and can foster a dynamic and energetic office culture. To have an environment that promotes and encourages diversity means your company accepts and respects the uniqueness of every individual.
SLO Chamber's Diversity Committee
Mission Statement: The mission of the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce Diversity Committee is to establish an active outreach effort and raise awareness about the benefits of creating a diversity-friendly business community.
- Participate in and be visible at community related diversity events
- Create training opportunities on diversity-related topics
- Inform/educate chamber membership on diversity topics by attending
- Chamber events and providing information for Chamber communications
- Outreach to minority businesses to join the Chamber
- Create alliances with media to connect diversity and good business
- Outreach to the community in an effort to network together
- Outreach on specific programs and good practices
- Participate in food and ethnic festivals
- Connect with Latino Outreach
- Collaborate with Vision Unida
- In-kind collaboration/sponsorship with community events
- Develop diversity stickers for increased community awareness
- Recruited several businesses to the Chamber
- Submitted motions to Chamber Board including opposing Proposition 8
- Honoring MLKJ night at Farmer's Market
- Participate in GALA, Pride in the Plaza
- Attend GMSLO and Mixers