Job Title: Communication Coordinator | Editorial
Hours: Part time position (approx. 24hrs/week).
Potential to grow into full time with additional duties/responsibilities (40+ hours/week)
Location: San Luis Obispo Chamber offices
Reports to: Director of Communications and Business Education
Produce a variety of quality written and multimedia communications pieces for the various audiences of the Chamber: staff, members, media and the community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Produce Chamber emails and newsletters, including writing copy, creating, sending and tracking all email communication.
- Write content for and update various sections of the Chamber websites, including SLOChamber.org and ImagineSLO.com.
- Write copy, edit and proofread copy for marketing & event materials.
- Update/write copy and edit major print publications. (City Map, Relocation and Referral Guide,
and Visitor’s Guide)
- Assist in coordination of public relations activities for the Chamber with Director of Communications and Business Education – Write and distribute press releases.
- Research and stay well-informed on existing and emerging communications avenues. Keep the staff up to date on any new media or multimedia that might help other departments, including governmental affairs and membership services.
- Work closely with other departments to ensure that the Chamber brand and messaging is consistent and accurate.
- Work with staff and committees to write, edit, design, and disseminate Chamber studies and surveys.
- Write various articles for internal and external sources as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Vital Contributions/ Expectations:
- Create and edit written content to ensure consistent and accurate Chamber brand messaging.
- Communicate Chamber priorities, positions and advocacy to the membership through various communications channels.
Required Skills, Education and Certifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field, or
- 2-6 years related experience, familiarity with public relations and new media preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs
- Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook, relational database and internet.
- Knowledge of website content management systems (Specifically WordPress & Constant Contact)
- Proven ability to write articles, press releases and business correspondence with proficiency in AP style.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and information to produce well-researched, in-depth articles.
- Ability to think critically and proactively and be entrepreneurial regarding Chamber’s strategic communication.
- Must possess strong proofreading skills and have a strong command of the English language.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Job structure, duties and overall compensation can be flexible depending on the qualifications and availability of the ideal candidate.
The benefits package for the part time position include:
- Bonus plan eligibility
- Retirement plan
A potential full-time position at the SLO Chamber can expect a competitive salary and a complete benefits package including:
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Retirement plan
- Profit sharing
- Life / Health insurance paid
- Long Term Disability insurance paid
- Paid downtown parking
- Flexible Spending Account
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter and resume plus 2-3 writing samples to Jacqui Clark-Charlesworth at email@example.com.
Email communication is the only form of correspondence for this position. Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.