The following opportunities are currently available at the SLO Chamber.
Visitor Center Information Specialist
The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center is looking for excited engaging individuals to join our team to greet visitors and share information on various attractions, activities, lodging and restaurants. You will have the opportunity to share everything you love about San Luis Obispo with our visitors!
The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce is the oldest and largest voluntary organization in San Luis Obispo County promoting the economic and community well-being for the region. The Chamber has approximately 1,400 business, government and non-profit members which employ over 33,000 people in the county. The Chamber team includes 10 full-time and five part-time professionals.
Information Specialists are an integral part of the SLO Chamber team, serving as the primary greeter and information provider to all visitors and locals coming into or contacting the Chamber.
- Assisting locals and visitors
- Referring Chamber of Commerce member businesses
- Selling merchandise
- Updating the SLO Chamber of Commerce’s community events calendar
- Responding to visitor inquires via e-mail and phone call
- Other duties as assigned
To be successful in this position, candidates must:
- Have a friendly attitude and exceptional people skills
- Be knowledgeable about San Luis Obispo County
- Be proficient Windows, MS PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Be very organized
- Have scheduling flexibility
- Have the ability to lift 40 lbs. or more
The Visitor Center is open seven days a week 362 days a year from 10 a.m. -5 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. This is a part-time position that will require approximately 15-25 hours per week.
The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce seeks a Public Relations (PR)/Communications Intern to join our team for a fall internship opportunity. We’re looking for a smart, creative individual looking to gain professional experience and who will bring fresh ideas and contribute to the SLO Chamber team. Your efforts will inject personality into how we market the place we love, San Luis Obispo!
Working under the direction of the Chamber’s communications team, you can expect to gain experience in:
– Writing and editing press releases, articles and blog posts for news sites and other marketing materials
– Researching industry publications and pitching editorial content
– Creating social media campaigns including scheduling and tracking analytics
– Collaborating with team members on new projects, stories and ideas
– Other duties as assigned
As an intern at the SLO Chamber, you will:
– Experience a semester of practical work as part of our communications team
– Write material that will be published online and pitched to national and international media outlets
– Work in an office environment where you’ll gain teamwork and project management skills
– Begin to build your network of professional contacts
– Background in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or other related disciplines
– Ability to write and edit in AP style
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
– Ability to show initiative, multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
– Experience with social media marketing and working with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Instagram for business
– Working knowledge of Hootsuite, Adobe Design Suite and Vocus/Cision is a plus
– An ability to convey compelling messages, both in person and in writing
– A positive attitude and willingness to work with the team to achieve departmental goals
– Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
– Internships require working a minimum of 10 hours per week
– You must be at least 18 years of age with a degree in a related discipline or be a graduate or undergraduate student entering your junior or senior year
– This is an unpaid internship
Interested? Please submit resume and 1-3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.