The following opportunities are currently available at the SLO Chamber.
We are looking for a dynamic leader to become the SLO Chamber’s next President/CEO. The new CEO will work with an engaged Board and committed staff to drive the Chamber’s mission to improve the economic prosperity and quality of life in the San Luis Obispo region, and to be the principal advocate for, and provider of services to, its business community.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for a chamber of commerce, economic development, association, nonprofit or private sector executive to lead and grow a successful regional Chamber organization in a growing and vibrant region. The CEO will have the benefit of working with a highly committed and influential Board of Directors and group of volunteers with a “get it done” attitude. The level of collaboration between the private sector and public sector is exceptionally strong. As the “go to” business organization in the region, the Chamber consistently takes the lead in community and business development conversations and efforts.
The Chamber CEO is a highly visible leadership position in SLO and, as such, the new CEO will have significant influence on the continued thoughtful growth and development of SLO and the region in the years to come. The Chamber’s volunteer and staff leaders are not content with status quo and have high expectations for the Chamber’s new leader as he/she leads them into “the next chapter” for the Chamber and the SLO regional community.
See the full position description here.
If you are aware of an outstanding executive who meets these requirements and would be interested in evaluating this opportunity, please email SLOChamber@Waverly-Partners.com or contact WAVERLY PARTNERS, the executive search firm retained by the Chamber Board on this search and the “preferred provider” of executive search services of the Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives.
Eric N. Peterson, Managing Director & Principal
WAVERLY PARTNERS, Cleveland, Ohio
(440) 892-5961, EPeterson@Waverly-Partners.com
Director of Communications and Business Education
We are looking for a diligent, persuasive and creative person to lead the Chamber’s communications and business education team in their efforts to grow the Chamber’s brand in the community and reinforce relevance with our business membership through programs such as Insight Studio and Good Morning SLO. Additionally, this individual will ensure successful fulfillment of our public relations partnership with the City of San Luis Obispo and direct content for the Chamber’s digital and print materials. This is a very visible role within the Chamber and the community and coordinates closely with other key Chamber staff.
See the full position description here.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, writing samples and references to email@example.com . Email communication is the only form of correspondence for this position, please, no phone calls or drop-ins. The application period closes on August 24th.
Membership Sales Associate
We are looking for an excited, engaging individual to join our team to recruit and retain Chamber members and support the sales efforts in a manner that furthers the brand and credibility of the San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce. This is a very visible role within the Chamber and the community that reports directly to the Director of Member Services.
Does this sound like you?
- Positive & Resilient – pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to not only meet goals, but exceed them; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks. Is driven by goals and results. Uses logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis.
- Initiative/Creativity – being proactive, acting with urgency rather than waiting to be told what to do, working effectively with little direction. Breaking the status quo by thinking in new ways, finding inspiration from different sources and trying new ideas.
- Consultative – understands and values consultative selling and how that develops into long term relationships. Actively listens and knows how to discuss features and benefits of membership as well as address objections.
- Organized & Adaptable– is able to balance many tasks at one time and anticipates needs; always seeking to be more efficient and embraces technology to do so; able to quickly shift gears to respond; understands when to seek guidance on competing priorities and when to pitch in to help others; likes working in a team environment.
- Extrovert – relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate and genuine rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Community Minded –loves this community and knows what is happening in it. Always curious, stays on top of local news and the latest happenings, understand how to turn new information into a new opportunity.
See the full position description here.
To apply, please email resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Membership Sales Associate Job Opportunity. Email communication is the only form of correspondence for this position. Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.
Visitor Center Information Specialist
The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center is looking for excited engaging individuals to join our team to greet visitors and share information on various attractions, activities, lodging and restaurants. You will have the opportunity to share everything you love about San Luis Obispo with our visitors!
Information Specialists are an integral part of the SLO Chamber team, serving as the primary greeter and information provider to all visitors and locals coming into or contacting the Chamber.
- Assisting locals and visitors
- Referring Chamber of Commerce member businesses
- Selling merchandise
- Updating the SLO Chamber of Commerce’s community events calendar
- Responding to visitor inquires via e-mail and phone call
- Other duties as assigned
To be successful in this position, candidates must:
- Have a friendly attitude and exceptional people skills
- Be knowledgeable about San Luis Obispo County
- Be proficient Windows, MS PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Be very organized
- Have scheduling flexibility
- Have the ability to lift 40 lbs. or more
The Visitor Center is open seven days a week 362 days a year from 9:30 a.m. -5 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. This is a part-time position that will require approximately 15-25 hours per week.
The San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce seeks a Public Relations/Communications Intern to join our team. We’re looking for a smart, creative individual looking to gain professional experience and who will bring fresh ideas and contribute to the SLO Chamber team. Your efforts will inject personality into how we market the place we love, San Luis Obispo!
Working under the direction of the Chamber’s communications team, you can expect to gain experience in:
– Writing and editing press releases, articles and blog posts for news sites and other marketing materials
– Researching industry publications and pitching editorial content
– Creating social media campaigns including scheduling and tracking analytics
– Collaborating with team members on new projects, stories and ideas
– Other duties as assigned
As an intern at the SLO Chamber, you will:
– Experience a quarter of practical work as part of our communications team
– Write material that will be published online and pitched to national and international media outlets
– Work in an office environment where you’ll gain teamwork and project management skills
– Begin to build your network of professional contacts
– Background in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or other related disciplines
– Ability to write and edit in AP style
– Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
– Ability to show initiative, multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
– Experience with social media marketing and working with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Instagram for business
– Working knowledge of Hootsuite, Adobe Design Suite and Vocus/Cision is a plus
– An ability to convey compelling messages, both in person and in writing
– A positive attitude and willingness to work with the team to achieve departmental goals
– Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
– Internships require working a minimum of 10 hours per week
– You must be at least 18 years of age with a degree in a related discipline or be a graduate or undergraduate student entering your junior or senior year
– This is an unpaid internship
Interested? Please submit resume and 1-3 writing samples to email@example.com.