Cracking the Government Code is a new event series designed to get you answers to these questions and share shortcuts to more quickly and easily shape the community you love. If you’re someone who wants to get involved and help craft the future you want to see, this series was designed for you.
Session 2 | Who does what? The differences between State vs County vs City and who has the most power to impact different issues
- Key differences between State, County and City governments
- Who has the most power to impact different issues
- Where regional collaboration is essential
Carlyn Christianson | Retired from her multi-decade career in medical management, Councilmember Carlyn Christianson now works part-time for Transitions-Mental Health Association and is finishing up her 8th year on the San Luis Obispo City Council after previously serving on the city and county Planning Commissions for many years–not to mention being a former SLO Chamber Board member.
Cracking the Government Code Series:
Join us the first Thursday of every month May through September as we promise to deliver interactive, fast paced and informative sessions featuring subject matter experts who’ve been in the trenches, are willing to share their knowledge, and answer your questions through our series sessions:
- Session 1 – Government 101 | Basics of getting involved, decoding language, procedures and practices that you’ll encounter
- Session 3 – Power of the purse | Budget process, priorities and possibilities
- Session 4 – Planning for the future | The impact urban planning choices have on the economy, culture and environment
- Session 5 – Be the change | How ‘normal residents’ can get involved and shape their community
Cracking the Government Code is also an opportunity to create lasting connections and share ideas in a safe, fun, and collaborative space — those that register for the full series will have an opportunity to have a one-on-one with a guest speaker and get personalized advice, insight and perspective to help further their goals.
$25 per session
$100 for all 5 sessions (20% discount)
*you will receive access to the recording of the first session upon registration.
If you wish to attend but cost presents a barrier, please email email@example.com as sponsorship opportunities are available.
While we hope to be able to transition to an in-person format during the series, Zoom will remain an option for all attendees.
Thank you to our sponsors: