The Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery at Cuesta College kicks off the spring semester with Topologies of Excess: A Survey of Contemporary Practices from Puerto Rico.
Topologies of Excess attempts to document some of the contemporary art practices that have emerged in Puerto Rico in recent years. The artists represented in the exhibition have created new practices rooted in response to the island’s contested history and local catastrophes such as Hurricane Maria in 2017. Featured artists include: Zaida Balmaseda, Amara Abdal Figueroa, Sofia Gallisa, Jorge Gonzalez, Natalia Lassalle-Morillo, Juan Alberto Negroni, Monica Rodriguez, and Mariola Rosario.
“The work in this exhibition is expressive and beautiful – a guttural sense of loss transformed,” said Cuesta College Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery Coordinator Emma Saperstein. “Much like our beloved California Central Coast environment, many Puerto Rican artists are engaging the natural world as an inspiring model for communal healing from trauma, regeneration, and connection with the divine.”
Topologies of Excess will run through February 24. Prior to the opening reception on January 31, the artists will host weaving workshops, drop-in studios, and reading programs with the following schedule:
- January 28, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery (room 7170)
- Drop-in Studios and Weaving Workshop – the public is invited to contribute to a woven piece that will be included in the exhibition
- January 29, 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery (room 7170)
- Weaving Workshop and Reading Program with texts from Luisa Capetillo
- January 31, 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery (room 7170)
- Opening Reception – meet the artists of Topologies of Excess
- January 31, 5:30 p.m., Humanities Forum (room 6304) o Artist Panel
The Harold J. Miossi Art Gallery is located in room 7170 on Cuesta College’s San Luis Obispo campus. For a full schedule of exhibits for the Spring 2019 semester, visit the gallery website. Please call the gallery at (805) 546-3202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for hours of operation and additional information.